WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 01-20-2017

Grapes/Raisins are Toxic to Dogs

Located in wine country, Middletown Animal Hospital has seen first hand the results of a dog who has eaten grapes in the vineyard. A grape toxicity can lead to kidney failure, with typically the signs of vomiting and diarrhea occurring a few hours after ingestion. Lethargy and a loss of appetite also can be seen, along with a lack of urine production. Raisins can also be toxic. Since they are dried grapes, they are toxic in a smaller quantity. The toxic dose for grapes is about 1⁄2 ounce per pound of body weight, but that can vary, so any consumption should be taken seriously.

The doctors at Middletown Animal Hospital suggest that if vomiting can be induced within an hour of an ingested toxic substance, then chances are good that the toxin will not have detrimental effects on the patient. Please call us immediately as one must be cautious in using hydrogen peroxide to self induce vomiting at home. The actual suggested dosage to induce vomiting is 1 ml per pound, and never give a large dog more than three tablespoons.

As with most toxicities, time is of the essence.  Your dog should be seen by a veterinarian to avoid irreversible kidney damage.  Middletown Animal Hospital usually has openings for same day for appointments or can interrupt normally scheduled appointments for an emergency.  You will expect to have bloodworm run, a urinalysis, some fluids to flush the kidneys and some activated charcoal to bind up any toxins. A follow-up blood panel might be warranted in a day or two to ensure that kidneys are not negatively affected.  Keep your dogs out of the vineyards!

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Exclusive Offer

New Client Offer     $25 Off Any Service

June/July 2017 Special

One free session of

Digital Thermal Imaging

or

Laser Therapy Treatment

THIS ---->https://middletownvetnet.vetmatrixbase.com/blog/b_76862_grapes_are_toxic_to_dogs.html

Office Hours

DayOpenClosed
Monday9:00am5:30pm
Tuesday9:00am5:30pm
Wednesday9:00am5:30pm
Thursday9:00am5:30pm
Friday9:00am5:30pm
Saturday8:00am4:30pm
SundayClosedClosed
Day Open Closed
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 9:00am 8:00am Closed
5:30pm 5:30pm 5:30pm 5:30pm 5:30pm 4:30pm Closed

Testimonial

We are the only animal hospital in Lake County, CA to offer all of these benefits:  laser surgery, laser therapy, climate controlled boarding, separate cat reception, examination, and boarding areas, dental x-ray and dental suite, multi-modal pain management, physical therapy, underwater treadmill, shockwave therapy, PRP therapy, cryotherapy, digital thermal imaging, stance analyzer, tonopen for eye pressure, behavior services, house calls.....and much more.

Middletown Animal Hospital 707-987-2000
21503 S. State Highway 29 Middletown, CA 95461

Newsletter Sign Up